Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Princess And The Pea - Story and Art

Still visiting at Grandma's house today, we kept our story and art project for stART (a story + art link up at A Mommy's Adventures) extremely simple today.

I printed out Hans Christian Andersen's, The Princess And The Pea, from childhoodreading.com, and read it to the children.

Then ,I gave them a nifty printout from the SurLaLune Blog (a very cool site to checkout if you're looking for story stretching activities). The children, or rather the girls, colored in several different mattresses, the bed frame, and a princess, cut them out, assembled the bed, glued them in place on another sheet of paper, and added on a pea, or in this case a dried bean colored green, for a finishing touch.

The story has a lot of fun potential, and I'd like to do a lot more with it. But, it will have to wait until we're home, and we have my own supplies around us, and access to our local library again. I'm pretty sure, there has to be, at least, a couple modern takes on the story, out there. And, I'd love to make a Princess and The Pea cake with the kids. And of course, you can't read Hans Christian Andersen, without watching the old Danny Kaye movie.

I'm getting excited actually. I can see an entire unit study falling pretty neatly into place. Hans Christian Andersen, here we come!

It's great to be a homeschooler.

2 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for sharing those links. Hans Andersen was very popular back home, but I admit that I find his original stories highly depressing :) It's a fun craft you did with a princess and her mattresses.

Ticia said...

"I'm Hans Christian Anderson, Anderson that's me."
I have a copy from when I was a kid with the characters as animals. There's also a short novel version by Gail Carson Levine, I can't remember the title off hand. She's got a whole slew of fractured fairy tales.