Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Little Christmas Tree - stART Project

I was backstage at the Nutcracker, or our community's kid type version of the Nutcracker, today. It was the first of five performances for the girls this week, and it was pretty much the sort of chaos, and mayhem, that you might expect.

I took along a craft project to keep my five year old occupied, while she waited her turn. It wasn't long before a number of the other little lambs were also volunteering to lend a hand, so it became a group project.



I had printed out a Christmas tree shape craft, from dltk-kids.com (still my favorite site for last minute preschool projects). The children colored the shapes, and then cut them, and glued them together to form a decorated Christmas tree.


Since today is a stART day (a story + art project link up, hosted by A Mommy's Adventures), I also had along The Little Christmas Tree, by Mercer Mayer. And, by the time we finished our story and art, it was just about the little ones' turn to take to the stage.



Be sure to check out more story stretching art projects at A Mommy's Adventures.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

Debbie said...

What a neat idea to keep a child occupied while waiting! Love the Christmas tree! Hope the recital was great!

silly eagle books said...

We have been reading our Nutcracker book every day for the past week...how fun that you got to see a live performance!

Jeanette said...

I might have to print out that tree for my kids.
We love Mercer Mayer books.

Kim @ Life of a Modern Mom said...

Love the project. It's nice to have so many different parts to it.

Ticia said...

What a fun idea and I love how everyone else ended up joining in. Looks like the recital was fun.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

You are a true supermom - so prepared for emergency projects. We like Little Critter books, but I haven't seen this one. That scene with little lambs is so cute!

April said...

Great idea to have a craft ready when there is spare time :)

Michelle said...

What a great idea, I always had the color-a-smile pages ready for my Sunday school kids during pageant rehearsals. It is a great way to keep them quiet and occupied.

We did a shape turkey a few weeks ago and Emily loved it, I will be printing the shape tree for Emily too!

Thank you for linking up to stART :0)