Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My Favorite Ornaments, and Day Two Of The Holly Bloggy Christmas Bash

Cassie at Southern Domestic Goddess, is hosting a Christmas Post Link Up, from now until the end of December, and The Holly Bloggy Christmas Bash Continues today, at A Baby Changes Everything, with a Christmas tree event. Since, I've already posted about our Christmas tree...


...I thought I'd focus in on my favorite ornaments on our tree - my gingerbread children.


They are simply pieces of fun foam, traced, and cut around cookie cutters. I cut two identical pieces for each ornament, and then used a razor knife, and a milk cap for a guide, to cut a circle in the face of one of the pieces, so I could sandwich the children's pictures in between them. I finished them off, by cutting the scrap pieces of foam into little squares for buttons, and squiggly lines, with the kids' craft scissors, for frosting.

Then, I glued them together with Elmer's school glue, and used a large sewing needle to poke a hole through for the hook.


I wasn't sure they'd hold up as well as the Hallmark ornaments, we bought in the past, but considering, that we have two Buzz Lightyears being held together by super glue, and a headless Celebration Barbie, who just didn't survive last year, I think they're doing pretty well.


Not to mention the fact, that they make me smile every time I look at them.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

7 comments:

Cassie said...

Those gingerbread children ornaments are so stinkin' adorable! I am absolutely bookmarking this one! Thanks for linking up!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love this idea - what a neat present for grandparents this will make!

Janet said...

I love your tree! So cute, and the gingerbread kids are adorable.

Marcee said...

I love the Gingerbread People!!!

The Activity Mom said...

Really cute!

silly eagle books said...

This is so cute! Juliet would get a kick out of seeing her face in a gingerbread person!

April Mitchell said...

CUTE! I like your tree!!