Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Crocheted Socks - Take One

While I was printing out the pattern, from Canadian Living, for the girls' felt bears, I noticed a crochet sock pattern, as well. I thought it might work as a last minute Christmas project for a friend. I mean, my first knit socks took me two weeks, but crochet is so much faster I figured I might just have time.

The sock is crocheted flat, and then sewed together. It's all done in a single crochet, with an ingenious design for a cuff. And, I was right about the timing, I had the first one done, after a few hours of work.

The end result, is a pretty nice looking sock, too.


The only problem is, that either my gauge was off, or the Canadians have really large feet. I have a Canadian sister-in-law, who wears a very tiny shoe, so I can only assume my gauge was, indeed, off. The sock I crocheted would easily fit a size nine, triple E foot.


On the other hand, it does make a pretty optimistic statement, when hung by the fire. Maybe, I'll find a new toaster, or some other not-so-small appliance, come Christmas morning.


Oh well, at least it's great to be a homeschooler.

3 comments:

Ticia said...

Now, see from what I can tell on the pictures it doesn't look that huge.....

Tan Family said...

You have a wonderful blog! Love the crocheted socks. :)

Val in the Rose Garden said...

If you really wanted a smaller sock, you could do the same pattern in wool and then run it through the washer to felt it. That would be really sweet. :)

I think it looks great... and comfy. But I am a size 10 shoe (AA though). lol... It would just about fit me.

Val