Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Watermelon Ice


Every summer the children and I go through the same ritual in the produce department of the grocery store. They see the watermelon for sale, and beg to buy one. I remind them, that they never eat watermelon when I buy it. They claim that this year will be different, this year they will eat watermelon. I put the melon in the cart knowing full well, that my husband and I will be eating the entire thing alone.

This week the smaller watermelons were on sale, and my husband was planning to barbecue, so I gave in. I thought maybe a snazzy presentation, courtesy of the National Watermelon Promotion Board, might entice the children to eat more than one bite. I was mistaken, of course. Not only that, but it turned out to be too hot to barbecue, or at least to stand outside in the sun trying to barbecue, and even I don't care for watermelon served as a side dish to Top Ramen.

So, when the air conditioner gave out (we've been having trouble with it all summer), I figured it was a good time to try out the recipe for watermelon ice, I'd been intrigued by recently. Naturally, I couldn't remember where I had seen it, so I had to flub my way through, but since it seemed to turn out, I'll share.

Puree:


  • 3 or 4 cups of watermelon

  • 3/4 cup of sugar

  • 1/4 cup of lemon juice

  • 1 tray of ice (it helps to add the ice one cube at a time)

Pour the pureed mixture into an air tight container, and place in the freezer, stirring often, for an hour or two.

When it looks about as solid as ice cream, serve it up in chilled dishes.


The children devoured it. Amazing, what adding a little sugar does to improve their opinion of a fruit.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

1 comment:

Marcee said...

OK your house is quite new, what's with the a/c? Watermelon ice looks yummy! 2 of the boys are sick today (sore throat and fevers) Yeah!!! Plus the suburband is broke again. We've been pretty much homebound for a month!