Friday, August 21, 2009

Pumpkin Gingerbread Parfaits


Despite a mini heat wave in the forecast for this week, there has has been a definite nip of Fall in the early morning air. In fact, 90 degree weather or not, the leaves on our trees have begun a very subtle change in color. And, because I've been waiting since July, when the Fall issue of Tea Time Magazine (thanks to my mother-in-law) was delivered to my door, to try out a few pumpkin themed recipes, I decided now was the time.

The Tea Time Magazine, actually featured a mini gingerbread trifle with pumpkin custard. But, to be honest, their recipe looked a little complicated. So, while the look is Tea Time inspired, my recipe came more from Paula Deen (actually, her's looks pretty similar to Tea Time's).

One layer is gingerbread. My recipe for that came straight from Betty Crocker. As a rule, I generally don't make gingerbread until the first snow of the year. But, as I said, I've been looking at this recipe since July, so I figured one little departure from tradition wouldn't hurt.

The pumpkin layer, is a mixture of pumpkin puree, vanilla pudding mix, milk, and the usual pumpkin pie spices. I would love to give you exact amounts, because it turned out really tasty, but I was operating in a "pinch of this, and a pinch of that" mode when I made it. With pudding mix involved though, it would be difficult to go wrong.

Finally, the whip cream layer is - whipped cream. I did whip up the cream myself, instead of using the frozen variety. And, I added in a little sugar, and a couple of teaspoons of vanilla. But, other than that, it's pretty basic.

Tea Time Magazine, topped their dessert with praline pecans. I'm sure that would be wonderful. Unfortunately, the children have discovered my stash of pecans in the garage freezer, and so, I was met by an empty container. But even without pecans, these little parfaits are near enough perfection, not to trifle with.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

No comments: