Sunday, August 9, 2009

Milk Jug Mask Molds

It's been a little while since I've posted a milk jug craft. Let me assure you, we continue to work on them. As I've mentioned before, one of the byproducts of having six children in the house, is an abundance of milk jugs to be recycled.

I cut a couple of them in half earlier in the week, and suggested to the kids that they might make nice molds for paper mache masks. The girls took be up on it, but the boys weren't interested, even when I pointed out, that the back side of the jugs, would be perfect for crafting a gas mask, or alien ant person.


So, while the boys went off to pursue less artsy projects, the girls mixed up a glue, and water, solution, and ripped up pieces of newspaper, to begin their masks (on the handled, non-ant/alien side of the jugs).



Once, the initial newspaper layer had dried, it was followed by a layer of white paper, and allowed to dry again. Then, the masks were removed from the milk jug molds.









My husband cut out the eye holes, with a razor knife, and the girls painted on a base layer of color.













When that was dry as well, they painted, and glued on a few last details, and left them for one more session of drying.



It's funny how the same mold inspired such different visions. In fact, the hardest part of the whole project for my husband, and I, was to allow the girls to design their own images, instead of the faces, that we saw in the form. Maybe next time Mom and Dad, will join in too.
It's great to be a homeschooler.


No comments: