Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Gooseberry Tarts for Grandma


The girls have started baking for their Grandmother's Tea. The first item on the menu is a tiny gooseberry tart (the gooseberries came from a farmer's market find on the weekend). I made up the pie crust, but the girls did the rest on their own.

They stemmed the berries...



...prepared the crusts, by squishing balls of dough into a mini muffin pan...


...added three, or four, berries per tart...


...sprinkled them with sugar (about 1/8 of a teaspoon), and flour (just a pinch)...


...and popped them in the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Then they went off to play. Since, I had no idea how long to bake them for, I planned on keeping an eye on them, until they had browned. About a half an hour later, I realized I'd completely forgotten about them - another minute, and it would have been too late.


The girls sampled them, even allowing their brothers a taste, and pronounced them acceptable tea party fare. Though believe me, tart is the proper word for anything made with gooseberries. I think maybe they would have benefited from a little lemon juice. Even so, thanks to their small size, they were pretty still pretty tasty.

They might not look like they came from Martha's kitchen, but I'm pretty sure Grandma will approve.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

1 comment:

Marcee said...

Very neat idea!! The boys and I made apple turnovers yesterday. We picked all the apples off our tree (about 20 small ones). We only used about 5 of them for the turnovers. Sammy wants to use the rest for a birthday apple pie next week. Have a great time with Grandma and Grandpa. I'm sure the "tea" will be fun!