Friday, January 22, 2010

Weaving Construction Paper Valentine Holders


It's a little early to start Valentine's projects with the kids, but we went ahead, and made our Valentine's pockets today, so the kids can take their time, and fill each other's with cards and goodies, over the next couple of weeks.

I found instructions for this craft in an Expert Village video, on YouTube. It offers pretty clear instructions, so I won't repeat them. But, each heart takes two pieces of construction paper, scissors, glue, a stapler, a ruler, and a pencil.
***Or, for a longer lasting, fabric version, check out this tutorial, at Pickup Some Creativity (thanks Chris, for the heads up about your post!).***

Weaving construction paper was too difficult for the youngest children (those under 8), but they enjoyed folding, and cutting, the paper, and with a bit of help, they all managed pretty well. It was a good chance to evaluate the young ones' cutting skills, and the older children's ability to follow multi-step directions, not to mention, my patience.







I realized after the first fold, it wasn't going to be a good group craft, so while I worked one on one, with each of them, the rest of the kids cut, and crafted Valentine's for each other. Though, I think there was more cutting, than crafting going on.


The heart shaped pockets, hang nicely on the back of their chairs, and have plenty of room for treats from each other.

It reminded me a lot of the shoe boxes we used to decorate in school, for receiving classmates' Valentines. In fact, it made me quite hungry for some frosted sugar cookies - you know, the kind with the red hots on top. Where is that room mother when you need her?

It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

These are so cute! Love all the ideas you come up with! They do remind me of the shoe boxes from school as well.

chris said...

These are based on Swedish woven hearts. I have a tutorial on my blog that shows how to make these with fabric, and a free pattern in two sizes that works with either fabric or paper. Check it out...
http://pickupsomecreativity.blogspot.com/2009/12/swedish-woven-heart-ornament-tutorial.html

Have a great day!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Wow - this is beautiful (and advanced). I am impressed that you managed this with a group of 6. You are a true supermom :)

Ticia said...

I've seen ones like these before, and they always amuse me. But, it sounds like I'll have to wait for my kids to be a little older....