Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Little Mermaid Banana Snack



Isn't this the perfect snack to go along with The Little Mermaid (that's another story by Hans Christian Andersen, you know)? I found the idea for this banana mermaid, here, at ZiggyZoom.com.

We used one banana, one stick of string cheese, a few golden raisins (any light colored dried fruit would do), and craisins.


Banana body:


Cut a little off the back of the pieces, so the mermaid will lay flat.


I realized at this point, that the plate I was using was too small. This snack needs a full size dinner plate, to give the mermaid enough room.



String cheese hair:



Craisin and raisin clothing, and scales:



And, a raisin and raisin face:



I love having a snack that ties into what we're reading, and it was a nice change to make it a healthy one!



It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Wow! I seriously want to reach and eat this mermaid now. Curious - you really read an original version with little ones? It has a pretty tragic ending, you know :)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This cracks me up and is SO FUN! I love it! Thanks so much for sharing this,I'll be linking.

Cassie said...

That is such a creative mermaid snack idea!

Anonymous said...

What a fun way to enjoy a banana! My boys would of course eat her head first! Lol!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We read the Rachel Isadora adaptation of The Little Mermaid, which is still pretty tragic, but short enough for the little ones to hear in one sitting.

Debbie said...

Oh that looks so yummy!

Ticia said...

I love the original snacks people come up with, sadly my poor kids don't get to have cute snacks like this.

April Mitchell said...

Very cute...too bad I have no little girls to love this.