Sunday, January 3, 2010

After Christmas Recycling - Advent Calendar Candy Molds

I'm feeling pretty proud of myself this year, because I remembered to pull the candy molds out of our cheap-o chocolate filled advent calendars, after Christmas. I threw away the outside boxes (I'm kicking myself for that, because they probably would have made easy templates for homemade advent calendars next year), but washed, and saved the plastic trays from the inside.


I tried them out today with a gummy candy mixture, and they worked great.



We noticed as we were opening our calendars, that many of the candies weren't necessarily Christmas related, there were hearts, moons, clovers, and even squirrels, and elephants, so they are perfect for any time of year.

The shapes were clearer in gummy, than they had been in chocolate too. We were finally able to make out the sleigh, and the pilgrim duck with the cork gun, that appeared as chocolate blobs in our advent calendars. Okay, we're still kind of guessing when it comes to the pilgrim duck - but I think we're getting warmer.



It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

gina said...

It's posts like this that make me miss homeschooling!! What a neat thing to try- they do look great. :) How'd they taste?

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

They were yummy - pretty much like store bought gummies, just a little blander, because I went with sugar free jello. After all of our Christmas goodies, we could do with less sugar, for a while!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Dang, I wish you had that post last week :) What a neat idea!

Ticia said...

I still envy your candy making skills.
Oh, and wanted to let you know when I go to the library tomorrow I'm going to look for that Magic School Bus book.