Saturday, January 30, 2010

Rilla of Ingleside - Review


L. M. Montgomery Reading Challenge


I stayed up late last night, and finished one last L.M. Montgomery novel for Reading to Know's L.M. Montgomery Reading Challenge, and I'm so glad I did. From a homeschool perspective, Rilla of Ingleside, is a very exciting book.

It's one of those, often referred to as a living book, or historical fiction. And, while it continues follows the life of Anne of Green Gables, focusing in on her youngest daughter, Rilla (named after Marilla from the first book), it is really about life on the home front in Canada during WWI.

I'm adding it to my list of books to pick up during the children's high school years (assuming we are still homeschooling then). It will sit quite nicely next to All Quiet on the Western Front, as a supplement to our World War I studies.

And, for those of you who have been in on the Montgomery challenge, and wavering in your regard for Anne, let me encourage you - I liked her again in this story. And, it was good to find her as a sympathetic character in the end.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

You are so awesome!!! I'm so excited that you read the whole series. I'm stuck on Windy Poplars right now and I almost rather envy you your skipping it! =D

THANKS for participating - in all the ways that you did. Glad to hear you liked this book!

April said...

I've read Anne of Green Gables but I never read any of the other books. I might have to check this one out.

Jacqueline said...

Hmmm, I'm thinking I'm going to have to try this one too