Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Puffed Paper Sleeves - An Anne of Green Gables Craft



I'm still reading L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables, out loud to the children this week. They've become quite familiar with Anne's love of puffed sleeves. So, for our stART (story + art) project, I decided to let the little ones decorate some puffed sleeves of their own. We made ours out of paper, so the girls could draw on flowers, and hearts, and the like.

After, Googling "how to make puffed sleeves", and getting the basic concept of the shape, I drew out a sort of arch, with a cuff, on two pieces of scrap paper, taped together (you can almost see it in the picture below).



Once I had cut out the basic shape, I added a few slits, so the puff of the sleeve could be gathered together, and stapled. It's not quite the same as gathering fabric sleeves, but the youngest girls didn't know the the difference, and the older girls, who know full well they have dresses hanging in their closest, with perfectly good puffed sleeves already attached, thought the whole thing was silly anyway (not very Anneish of them at all!).




Before, we stapled the sleeves, the younger girls, with some eventual help form their older sisters, made them pretty.



Then, we stapled the gathered top part, set them on the girls' shoulders, and taped the cuffs around their arms.



They looked a little strange, with puffed, paper sleeves over their outfits, but just like Anne, they imagined they were wearing beautiful white dresses, with the puffed sleeves sewn on.
I tried to get a clear shot of them together, in their sleeves, but they wouldn't stop twirling long enough for me to snap a picture.

For more story stretching arts, and crafts activities for children, check out this weeks stART link up at A Mommy's Adventures.
Or, for more about Anne of Green Gables, or the other works of L.M. Montgomery, take a look at the L.M. Montgomery Reading Challenge, at Reading to Know, where participants are providing links, in the comments, to their reviews of Montgomery's books.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

19 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is a fun project! I think your puffed sleeves turned out quite nicely. It's great to be so creative :)

Wikki Stix – Crafts & Educational Tools for Kids said...

Thanks for the useful and informative post. I look forward to more in the future.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Awww... they look so happy with their puffy sleeves! I think they turned out great!

Cammie said...

My girly girls would love this...fun idea.

sbswtp said...

What a great craft!!!! I love Anne of Green Gables :)...Such a creative activity!

Debbie said...

Those turned out scute! I know the girls loved making these!

Michelle said...

What a great craft to go with your book! They really do look like puffy sleeves on them :0)
Thank you for linking up to stART!!

April said...

Very creative! I loved Anne of Green Gables. I had watched the movie on PBS when I was younger and I didn't read the book until I was older. I would love to read it to my little girl when she gets older.

Jenny said...

That is such a cute idea!

Unknown said...

ALRIGHT- you are single-handedly bringing back those '80's shoulder pads!

Love this idea- your girls are blessed to have such a creative Mother!

Julie said...

What a great idea! Very creative!

Brimful Curiosities said...

Neat activity and also educational. Kind of a pre-sewing activity to learn about dress making.

Trudie said...

This is really one of the most creative projects I have com accross!

Unknown said...

What a cute girly craft! I love it!

Ticia said...

I bet they walked around wearing those for the rest of the day.

Carrie said...

=D I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Annette W. said...

Love it! I'm reading Anne now too...some I like better than others.

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

This is super sweet! My girls would LOVE it!

Barbara H. said...

What a fun project!