Monday, January 25, 2010

Anne of Ingleside - Review

L. M. Montgomery Reading Challenge


I've just finished reading Anne of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery, for the L.M. Montgomery Reading Challenge, at Reading to Know.

It is book six in the Anne of Green Gables series, and so far, it is my favorite of the set.

The story finds Anne a soon-to-be, middle aged, mother of six. Which, no doubt, has something to do with my feelings toward it.

Like the other books in the series, after the first, there is no real point, or purpose to the narrative. It is simply a continuation of Anne's life. And, after knowing Anne, as a dreamy child, hopeful collegiate, a beginning career woman, and a young bride, I was very happy to meet her as a mother.

The story unfolds in a series of short anecdotes of each of the children's adventures, and misadventures, as they swirl around a mother (in a way only six children can), who is just beginning to feel the speed of life quickening, with each milestone passed, and each season's, too quick, return, embracing motherhood, with an excepting knowledge of it's temporary nature, and feeling with each joy, an equal promise of sorrow.

Of course, even though she is no longer Anne of Green Gables, she is still, the perfect, thin, beautiful, patient, loving, understanding, capable, imaginative Anne. I only wish I could be half the mother she is. Then again, maybe if I had her housekeeper...

It's great to be a homeschooler!

3 comments:

Ice Cream Lady said...

oh yes, the house keeper would be the key!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

What a great review! I read the first few books in the series, but never made it to book six. Now, after reading your review, I'm inspired to give it a go. Thanks!!

Ticia said...

You know, I think I might even have these books in hiding somewhere when my Mom bought all of the classic books for me as a kid, this and the Little House series were the two I never really read.
I really should break down and go read them. You've been writing such great reviews.