Friday, November 19, 2010

A Thanksgiving, Alphabet, Brainstorming Activity


Today, we're working on a very simple, Thanksgiving, brainstorming book, to help us focus in on all the individual, things we have to be thankful for, as we place the last few turkeys, on our tree.

I printed out the word T-H-A-N-K-S-G-I-V-I-N-G, at the top of 12 pieces of paper, and drew one large block letter from the word, on each page.

Then, I gave the children the pages, a couple of magazines, a pile of stickers, a dictionary, and pencils, crayons, and markers, for them to fill in each page, with pictures, and words of things, that start with that letter - not necessarily things they would normally think to be thankful for, but just anything starting with that letter.

We've already found several surprising things to be thankful for, though, like variables, under V. We might not be instantly thankful for the concept of variables, but the math they represent, would be difficult to live without.

We are brainstorming, so we won't worry about spelling. I might correct it later, although, that brings up something for which the Pilgrims had to thankful. There were no set spelling rules in their day.

I'll probably leave the pages out for a couple of days, so we can add words, and pictures, as they come to us. Then, we'll staple them together into book form, to keep, and look through for gratitudinal inspiration.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

7 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

Very nice. I really like this idea.

Debbie said...

This is a neat idea! It's amazing when you just set forth to brainstorm how many things you can find to be thankful for.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, I am so stealing it! I will link back and give credit where credit is due. Thanks for sharing, StorybookForest

Charlene Juliani said...

Another great idea!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I also really like this idea! Maybe we will do something like this for Christmas!

Ticia said...

Ooohhhhh, now how can we adapt this to my nonreaders...... Hmmmm, maybe just putting pictures in the letters.

Unknown said...

Simple, sweet!