Thursday, November 25, 2010

Simple Snowman, Picture Frame, Chirstmas Ornaments

After the children went to bed tonight, I started working on this year's special Christmas ornaments. It's time to hit the ground running, after all.

I really like our fun foam, gingerbread men, from two years ago...


...and so decided to return to fun foam this year, but with a snowman theme.


To make them, I cut four circles out of white foam - 2 small circles, about 1 and 3/4'' in diameter, one medium circle, about 2 and 1/4'' in diameter, and a large circle, 2 and 3/4'' in diameter. I cut the center out one of the small circles, to make a ring, and cut two, brown, fun foam arms, and three, black, pieces of coal.


I printed an 8x10 picture from today's Thanksgiving dinner, and cut out the children's faces from that...


...gluing them onto the small circles...


...and then topping them with the ring frames, before gluing the rest of the snowmen together.


Once they're dry, I'll be able to use a needle to poke a hole near the top for a hook, and they'll be ready this year's tree, even if I'm not quite.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

Linked to the Toddler's Magic Christmas - Idea Bank, at Best Toys for Toddlers.

8 comments:

Debbie said...

This is such a cute idea!

Ticia said...

And to think I just bought some wooden ones for my kids to paint and color.

Unknown said...

What kiddo WOULDN'T want to be a snowman?

Christy Killoran said...

I was going to say that you are amazing, but then it just looks like I am copying Phyllis. Let's just say that I am SO impressed!!!!! You are so creative. I love it. I think we will be making these.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Super cute - maybe we should make a photo ornament a yearly tradition starting this year.

Unknown said...

Love this! :)

Just today we started a giant linky with Christmas theme. :) We want to collect the biggest number of ideas shared by parents to make Christmas magic time of year for toddlers. There are 5 linkies in one post and it would be great if you would add this idea, along with others you come up to in future, to appropriate linky: http://best-toys-for-toddler.blogspot.com/2010/11/toddlers-magic-christmas-idea-bank.html

Laura said...

Love the photo idea! There is a winter/holiday idea contest on my early childhood website (www.theseedsnetwork.com/contest.php) - would love if you wanted to submit some of your ideas! (Winners will get gift cards to Discount School Supply). Hope you'll consider participating!

RedTedArt said...

You really made me smile - both your gingerbread family and snowmen family are BRILLIANT!

I would love for you to visit Kids Get Crafty (every Wednesday on Red Ted Art) current link up is here: http://www.redtedart.com/2010/12/08/kids-get-crafty-nikolaus-sterne-or-santa-stars/

Hopefully see you there!

Maggy