Monday, November 1, 2010

Toilet Paper Tube Indian, or Harvest Corn Napkin Rings, and Decorations.

After seeing the pretty Thanksgiving corn craft, on Ramblings of a Crazy Woman (via One Pretty Thing), and since I already had the construction paper out, I decided to do one more quick, Indian/harvest corn craft, with the girls.

I had them cut strips of brown, yellow, red, and orange construction paper into squares. C (age 4), was especially fond of this step.

Then, they glued their paper kernels onto empty toilet paper rolls.

The younger girls were a good deal more haphazard in their kernel placement, than their older sisters - but the copious amount of glue they used, held everything in place.


When they were dry, or at least mostly dry, I stuffed some lunch size paper bags, through them. Recycled, brown, packing paper would be even better.


Then, I ripped, and twisted the tops, to suggest dried husks...


...tied them together with ribbons...


...and hung them up.


I didn't glue the paper bags to the toilet paper tubes, they're just held in place by friction, because I want to be able to easily remove them, so on Thanksgiving Day, they can double as napkin rings.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

23 comments:

Phyllis said...

Those are so cute. They would be lovely for Thanksgiving dinner!

Shonni said...

What a wonderful idea. Thank you for sharing.

us said...

SO cute!

Kylie said...

Oh these are delightful!

Kara said...

Love these! We are having a harvest theme on my blog this week- can I link to you please?
-Kara
http://littlelearnerslounge.blogspot.com

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Kara - Yes, certainly - link away - and thanks!

Unknown said...

What a corny, er, I mean GREAT idea!

Unknown said...

Your crafts rock!! I will definetly be using the weaving the corn craft. I will be linking right back to ya. Thanks so much for sharing these wonderful ideas.

Christy Killoran said...

So very clever and cute! I love that you will use them for napkin rings too!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

So simple and so cute - I can tell already that November will be a great month on your blog :)

Jennifer said...

I love this idea!! Visiting you for the first time -- so glad I found you!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

It's two crafts in one!! I LOVE it!!! :-)

Ticia said...

Those are cute. We're big fans of copious amounts of glue as well.

Sippy Cup Central said...

I linked you for Monday, thanks again. Karen
Sippy Cup Central Mom

Carolyn said...

Great idea...I am a preschool teacher and I'm always looking for crafts that the children can do (mostly) themselves. No more doing the crafts for them!!! It is a pain, and they don't learn anything that way!!!

Kaci * Little Piles Everywhere said...

Super Cute. I love any projects that involves paper towel holders, egg cartons or toilet paper rolls! Thanks for sharing!

MittenMom said...

I can't wait to do this with my two homeschoolers I remember making thanksgiving placemats in school myself but these are so cute. Thanks for the idea is it ok to link back to you on my blog www.middleofthemitten.blogspot.com
thank you
Tammy

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

MittenMom - Link away! And, thanks :)

MamaBearsCubhouse said...

love it! never been here before..i'll be back! thanks!

(love your blog title, btw)

melinda

3G=Growing Godly Girlz said...

OH, those are so cute! WE have lots of toilet paper tubes to use up. Thanks for the ideas!
Warmly,
Aria,
http://growing3godlygirlz.blogspot.com

Robbie @ Going Green Mama said...

I just discovered your blog today and am adding to my reader - my 2 yo would love some of these ideas!

By the way, we're including you in a wrap up today of great Thanksgiving recycled craft ideas at the Green Phone Booth. Please check us out at greenphonebooth.com.

elrogang said...

Thank you, we decided to use hole punch-punch outs instead of square. It took longer and exercised her fine motor skills, thank you for the cute idea! We also used half the roll!

Anna @ Blissful Whimsy said...

I love this idea so much I did it with my kindergarten class :o)