Friday, November 5, 2010

Hand Print Mayflower Craft

I saw a hand print craft kit, for Columbus Day, at the Oriental Trading Company, and thought maybe we could do something similar for Thanksgiving.

To start with, I drew a wavy line on blue construction paper, for the girls to cut out. After, E cut hers, C just had to cut a straight line below it, and she could use the waves left behind, by E's cutting.


They glued the wavy ocean down, onto yellow construction paper.


Then, added their hand prints, at the water line. I had instructed them to spread their thumbs out, to make the bow of the ship.


When, the paint was dry, they glued on construction paper sails, and flags, and a few clouds overhead. I may yet have them draw a flower on, so they will remember the name of the ship, but then, we might just leave them as is.


C, chose to make her ship purple, because she's four, and she likes purple.


Her color choice afforded opportunity to discuss the fact, that we really don't know what the Mayflower looked like. All, the pictures we see, and even the Mayflower II moored on the east coast, are best guesses, not actual representations.

Speaking of the Mayflower II, here's a link to an old newsreel-type film, of the ship being sailed from England to the United States back in the '50s. It's a pretty good piece of history now, itself.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

11 comments:

phasejumper said...

Seriously, I don't have enough days in November to do all these awesome crafts you are showing me! lol

Debbie said...

What a cute mayflower. There is something about hand print art that I just love.

Unknown said...

I love being inspired by catalogs like "Oriental Trading Company"...but getting ideas from YOU is always better!

Phyllis said...

I love how you can see something you like and reproduce it without any instructions! So cute!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love it! I think we are going to do it at the same time as a handprint turkey (and preferably at the time where our man of the house is not in the house).

Christy Killoran said...

I love hand print crafts and I have never seen one like this!!! I think it's great.

I have been inspired by things I have seen in catalogs too. That is cool. Last winter we made snowman cookies after seeing something similar in The Popcorn Factory catalog.

I love the purple Mayflower - my four year old would definitely want either a pink or a purple boat.

Ticia said...

Hmmm...... now how to incorporate this into our handprint calendar?

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! I love your Mayflower boat idea. This would actually be so doable for my 6 and 4 year old (and the 2 year old will probably make a more abstract version!)

I'm doing a link-up for Thanksgiving learning activities and yours would make great contributions if you want to add them: http://cultivatedlives.blogspot.com/2010/11/lessons-in-thanksgiving.html

Fairion said...

I love this one. We are going to do it. We have been doing lots of Plymouth Rock/ Thanksgiving activities and this will be right up Froggy's alley. Thanks so much.

BTW Froggy is now hooked on Schoolhouse Rock thanks to your recommendation of "No More King"

Kristie said...

What a cute idea!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

This is sooo cute! I am your newest follower! I'd love for you to follow me back, if you want to =-) I also wanted to invite you to come link up at TGIF Linky Party - http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties
Beth =-)