Thursday, November 11, 2010

Cranberry Thanksgiving

I checked out Cranberry Thanksgiving, because it has a recipe for cranberry bread on the back cover (you can view the recipe on Amazon's instant view of the book, too). I didn't really pay attention to the authors, just to the fact the story is set on a cranberry farm, is part of a series, and takes place at Thanksgiving.

I was in for quite a treat, and not just from the bread. The story is an excellent one, about sharing what you have, with those who don't, and not judging people by appearances. Opening it up, to read it to the children, I had one of those Ratatouille-ish "wah-waaah" type moments, of being drawn straight back into my own childhood.

The authors, it turns out, are Wende and Harry Devlin. They are the same author/illustrator pair who wrote Old Black Witch, that I just loved as a child, but was conflicted about sharing with my own children. In fact, after reading Cranberry Thanksgiving, I'm pretty sure we had it when I was little, too. It is very familiar, and this time there's no witch to feel conflicted about.

There is however singing. I was thrilled to find the characters gather together to sing...well..."We Gather Together". I've assigned that same song, in differing degrees of difficulty, to several of the children for their piano work, and told them to learn the words, so we can sing it on Thanksgiving. Now I have proof that sort of thing is, or at least was, done - and it's not just a crazy-Mom idea.

As to the cranberry bread, A(age 9), and T(age 13) teamed together to make us a batch. I helped a little, when it came to running the blender.


But, for the most, the recipe was well within their skill/age level. And, it turned out, quite well.


I've been nibbling on a piece (the last piece), while writing this, and have to say, it's pretty tasty. Though the children all agree, they would prefer it without raisins.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

10 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I have seen this book at the library, but we haven't read it. It sounds great though.

I love that you assigned the music. You should post a video!!!

Raisins in cranberry bread???? That sounds weird. As a lifelong Massachusetts resident (the cranberry is our state fruit and I drive by cranberry bogs on a regular basis) I have to say that is wrong! Take out the raisins!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Christy - There is a note at the end of the recipe, that says "you may choose to substitute cranberries for the raisins for an all cranberry bread" - we were going to try that today :)

Ticia said...

We seriously need to sit down and read through our stash of cranberry books.

Debbie said...

I have never seen that book. Our library is totally out of any sort of Thanksgiving books. The cranberry bread sure looks yummy!

Unknown said...

The bread looks so pretty...

Hallie said...

We just picked up this book at the library and can't wait to read it! I think it's so funny how everyone seems to be reading the same books! They must be good! :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I have never heard of this book before, and it sounds great. I also want to listen to the rendition of the song!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

I LOVE THIS BOOK! I stole my mom's copy because it's out of print. :) You can see how our bread turned out from last year: http://littlepageturners.blogspot.com/2009/11/thanksgiving-of-cranberry-variety.html

So glad another family is enjoying it and passing down the memories. :)

Kim said...

There is a whole series of Cranberry books, and they are lovely. They've also been made into animated tv shows.

Christy Killoran said...

I requested this book from the library. I'll have to try the bread recipe too. Thanks.

We own a book titled Clarence the Cranberry that has a nice lesson about not giving up. I'm not sure if you would be able to find it because it is by a local author, but it is a cute book.