Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Painting Pine Cones

We had some fun this afternoon, painting pine cones in fall colors (and glitter paint).

I saw this idea on another site, but I can't for the life of me find it now, or I'd reference you there.

Anyway, it's been going back, and forth between rain, and snow all day, which doesn't make for good outdoor playing, and the textural process, of covering each pine cone scale, in loads of paint, and glitter, proved a very effective boredom buster.


I had been planning on adding eye hooks to the bottom of the pine cones, and hanging them with ribbons, from the light fixture above the table, for Thanksgiving. But, now that I see them painted...



...I'm thinking, maybe well use them as place card holders, instead.



It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

They look so pretty. Hmmmm...I really like the idea of using them for place card holders. I might have to do this.

Tonya @ The Traveling Praters said...

The pine cones look great! I love the place card holder idea. I recently ran across a post where someone had painted the bottom portion of acorns and placed them in a bowl. They looked really cool and I thought about doing that with my kids but haven't gotten around to it. Anyway, painted acorns in a bowl with your pine cones would make a great centerpiece. BTW- Congratulations on your nomination with the Homeschool Blog Awards! :) I love seeing the neat things you do with your kiddo's.

Anonymous said...

I love how they turned out, so pretty.

Joyful Learner said...

Pretty! I want to make these!

Ticia said...

Those turned out so cute! I bet that could be a great time sink.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Perfect craft! My work campus has so many pinecones. Hmmm....

Darcey said...

These came out really neat! They'd look great as any decoration. This was one of my favorite posts for this week and I've linked up to it here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2010/11/weekly-favorites-november-14-2010.html

Raychel said...

http://mycreativeway.blogspot.com/2010/11/diy-thanksgiving-place-card-ideas.html

I featured your creative way today! Love these :)

Raychel