Monday, August 9, 2010

Owl Cupcakes


I wanted to make a snack to go along with our owl experience from the weekend, but I didn't want to spoil a family, fall tradition, by making our usual owl cookies, this early.

Instead, I found a fun, and easy cupcake idea from The Cupcake Blog.

Start with chocolate cupcakes, or at least we used chocolate. Really, any flavor would do.



Frost them with chocolate frosting.


Open two chocolate sandwich cookies, and use the frosting covered sides, for the eyes.


Cut, the edges of the other sides, with no frosting, to make feathers.


Add M&M beaks, by pushing the candy in sideways, under the eyes.


And finally, finish them off with Junior Mint pupils.

Whooo knew it could be so easy?

It's great to be a homeschooler.

16 comments:

Ticia said...

And you know, if when you open the cupcake the frosting isn't perfect you get to eat it.

Harlan Family said...

Those are adorable!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Love those! They turned out adorable. But what did you do with the leftovers from the non-marshmallow sides of the oreos?

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Those are freakin' adorable!!! Oh my goodness! :-)

Unknown said...

I remember learning somewhere that the Barred Owl's call sounds like someone saying, "Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you?"

Well, let me just say, those owls should be saying, "What cute cupcakes! What cute cupcakes!"

(Sorry- such a cheesy comment- just wanted you to know I like you snack, as usual...)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Christianne - I bagged them up for future projects. I'm sure we'll need some crushed cookie pieces for something, sometime soon :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Wonder Mom - No worries - I was totally thinking of you, as I typed in punny line, at the end =)

Phyllis said...

Oh, this is perfect. I am planning our summer camp now and I am having an owl themed day on one of them. This will be perfect for the tea time. Thanks!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Wow, those cupcakes stand right there next to the hamburger cookies - something that I readily admire but cannot quite envision doing. I am afraid daughter is doomed to non-presentational desserts until she is old enough to make those herself :)

Susana said...

These are adorable! I LOVE them! Thanks for sharing this idea. My kids would think these are awesome1

Christy Killoran said...

SO cute! I will definitely make these.

Lady Chadwick said...

These are adorable, and I bet yummy. It must be awesome to have you as a mother , neat science tricks, fun treats.

Will you be my mommy too? (kidding, sorta)

Mama Jenn said...

This are TOO cute!!!!! LOVE THEM!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Kim said...

Very cute. My friend did these and I linked it up on my blog. Thanks for sharing.

http://raising3ladies.blogspot.com/2010/10/owl-cupcakes.html

Emily Kate said...

That is so darling!

Toadster said...

I saw this cupcake idea in the book, :Hello Cupcake." It is a little more detailed, (includes piping) but these turned out swell.