Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Felt Owl Fun


I settled in to watch the movie version of Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird, last night, as part of an August reading challenge from Hope is The Word, and needed something to keep my hands busy.

So, I pulled up a felt, owl brooch pattern, from Bugs and Fishes (you might have seen them on One Pretty Thing), that I'd come across while looking for the owl cupcakes.

I pretty well followed the Bugs and Fishes tutorial instructions, except I mass produced mine, by tracing, and cutting out enough paper templates for all my owls. Then, I taped them down to the felt, and did all my cutting in one step.


I sewed hair bands to the back of the owls, for the girls, instead of a safety pins.


And, for the boys, I left the backs alone, so they could be pocket pals.


They were as simple to put together, as they look, but as noted on the website above, working with all the tiny pieces is a pretty fussy affair. Even trying to work assembly line style, it took me more hours than the movie allowed, to get them all done. I had barely finished my last stitch, when the children came up for breakfast this morning, and scooped them up, noting that finding the table covered in felt, and string, made them think of Christmas.

It's a nice thought, but I'm still hoping for at least a couple more weeks of summer. We haven't even had a lemonade stand, yet!

It's great to be a homeschooler.

5 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

They came out so cute. My daughter is all about everything being PINK so I would have to make her a pink owl or at least have some pink in it, but I know my son would love to have one of those pocket owls.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love the idea of using them with hair bands - looks so pretty. You are so very crafty!

Ticia said...

The hair bands are way too cute. I love little animals like that, and I bet my kids would too.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Christy - Pink would probably make them more summery, too - which would be good!

Raising a Happy Child - It's hard not to be crafty with felt. It's so easy to work with.

Phyllis said...

They are adorable!