Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Heart Owl Cookies

A couple of weeks ago, there was a paper heart, owl craft linked into the stART post at A Mommy's Adventures. At the time I commented, I thought it would make a cute cookie pattern. But, of course, when it actually came to making owl treats for the kids, I couldn't remember where I'd seen it, and couldn't find another heart owl, quite like it.

So, yesterday, when I came across the craft again, at Live, Learn, Love - I decided not to waste any time, in making the cookies.

I used the same sugar cookie/cocoa dough combination I used for our symmetrical cookies. If I was making these in the fall, I think I would add a tablespoon of maple syrup to the vanilla dough, just to give it the taste of the season. But, since this is summer, I left it vanilla. I did pinch off a quarter of the vanilla dough, to add yellow food coloring to though, for beaks and claws.


I had to modify the original design just a bit, because I didn't have a small enough heart cutter, to make the beaks look right. I used a heart cookie cutter that is about 3.5'' across for the body, and one that is 1.5'' across for the rest of the hearts.

Then, I hand formed the triangle beak...


...and circle eyes...


...and pupils.


All the pieces baked together, nicely (again 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 12 minutes), without the need for frosting "glue".


Looking at them now, I think I could have gone one size bigger with the hearts for the faces. They almost look like little heart buzzards, instead of owls. Either way, I think the kids will get a kick out of them, for snack, today. But, be sure to check out the paper heart owls, these are based on - they are very cute.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

10 comments:

Ticia said...

I'm sure they'll love it.

I'm guessing it's chasing the six kids that keeps you fit and trim with all these baking activities. :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ticia - "Trim" might not be entirely accurate :) But, I'm not a huge fan of sugar cookies, and I only made six owls, just to keep the tempation down.

Debbie said...

These are cute! I should do more baking like this, but wait a minute we don't let Selena have much sugar. Once she starts eating more fruits and vegetables then maybe we will add more sugar products.

Annette W. said...

I absolutely love the owl cookies! I am so glad we inspired you...and thank you for the link.

You're awesome!

Christy Killoran said...

I love them! I often make small amounts of special treats too because it keeps me from eating too many!

Have you seen the book, My Heart is Like a Zoo by Michael Hall? We love it. There are different zoo animals made out of heart shapes throughout the book. I recommended it to Annette when she did her owl post that you mentioned.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Christy - Thanks for the reminder - I put it on hold, at the library :)

Phyllis said...

Those are so cute!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Beautiful edible craft. I am always impressed with how you pull off your edible science and crafts so effortlessly (or so it seems).

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Raising a Happy Child - Crafting with sugar cookie dough is like playing with play dough - a little messy, but a lot of fun.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

OMGoodness!!! I am bookmarking this, and I've already bookmarked the cupcakes you made because Emily's new school mascot is the owl!! I would love to make something like this for her to take to school on her birthday. Well, maybe I should forward this to Mark so he can handle the baking....I totally stink at that. LOL ;-)