Thursday, August 26, 2010

Carrot and Apple Butterflies

After dealing with the after effects of red dye, and sugar consumption from our "pinkalicious" cupcakes, I figured it was time for a healthy side with our sandwiches, at lunch, today.

But, being at the end of a grocery cycle, I found myself with two measly apples, a handful of carrots, a small box of raisins, and the last few broken pretzels at the bottom of the bag, to divide amongst the children.

That seemed kind of pitiful, until I found the butterfly pattern, at kidactivities.net.

I like it, because it doesn't require any sticky peanut butter, or sharp tooth picks to hold the pieces together. Just lay everything out on the plate, and you're good to go.

The festive format didn't entice my pickier eaters to eat the raisins, or carrots.


But, it did seem to bring out every one's artistic side.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

My picky eaters would do the same thing. I love their creations!

Amy A @ Child Central Station said...

I love it!!! We have done some very creative things with food to make butterflies and caterpillars too!

Ticia said...

I wonder what my kids would do with it

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

OMGoodness! Those are SO cute!!! Love it!

Elise said...

How resourceful. What a lovely "treat' for your children.

Basia - United Teaching said...

I'm going to have to make this snack. We are about to embark on a unit on insects and this will make a perfect snack - healthy and not much potential for mess when it comes to toddlers. Thanks for sharing the idea!

Debbie said...

Selena would probably push the plate away and leave the table with one of her "You know better" looks. I love the creativity going on there!

Phyllis said...

Hee, hee. I love it!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Yeah - I can see how artistic side might win over the desire to eat a healthy snack :) Cute butterflies!