Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Squid Fishing - Extending Crafts to Toys


I love it when crafts can do double duty as toys.  So, when I saw the idea for cardboard tube fish being used  with a paper clip fishing game in Judy Ann Saddler's Jumbo Book of Crafts (another excellent book from the Kids Can Press)...

...I thought it would work perfectly with our toilet paper tube squid, as well.  Well, almost perfectly, since a squid's mouth is not at the top of the mantle, but down under under the legs, but then you can't always be scientifically accurate when it comes to toys.


Anyway, besides a quick hole punch in the top of each squid, all I had to do to prepare for fishing tournament  fun, was tie a piece of yarn to a pencil at one end, and a bent paper clip at the other (I'm sure you've seen that done before).


A piece of tape will keep the yarn from slipping off the pencil.


 "Fishing" with a paper clip hook is trickier than with the magnets we usually use...


...but with practice, still possible.


I prepared the squid, and poles before the children got up this morning, and let the children discover the alterations themselves.


The squid fishing frenzy that ensued was a perfect compliment to our current breakfast-time audio selection.



It's great to be a homeschooler.

2 comments:

Ticia said...

Those are cute! I might have to try those for jelly fish.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Very cute. Jules Vernes was my favorite author when I was about 10 to 12...