Tuesday, April 3, 2012

An Alternative Easter Candy Hunt


This year, I'm thinking of a verse themed, candy filled, scavenger-type hunt, for Easter, where the children will be given a sheet of verses, and have to find the hidden candy from around the yard, or house, that matches with each verse.

Some of the candy I found at the grocery store, like the praying hands, or the chocolate sheep, match up to verses very simply -

Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak - Matthew 26:41
or
Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world. - John 1:29.


The others will require a play on words, and some creative thinking - such as,
  • A Mini Milky Way to go with John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father but through Me."
  • Chocolate Kisses for Luke 22:48 - But Jesus asked him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?”
  • Red Vines for John 15:5 -  “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
  • Almond Joy for Matthew 28:8 - So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples.  Or, maybe  Luke 2:10 - But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.
It's a work in progress.  I'd like to tie in a few more treats to verses yet.  I'm sure the King James version must have a betwixt or two, that could match up to a Twix Bar, and I'm thinking through the scoffing/snickering connection to see if I could work in a Snickers.  Any ideas?

It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

Scarlet Bluefield said...

Love this idea! Please keep us informed so we can all shamelessly copy you :)

Creatively Content said...

I have been following your Easter posts and have been so encouraged and excited to see such great ideas focused on Christ. Really thank you for posting and for helping me to think... I live in Turkey so I can't do the candy idea. I have been wanting to do something different and fun for the kids that keeps the focus on Christ so this post is great to get me thinking...

Ticia said...

Hmmmm, I'm horrible with puns and word connections, so I can't think of anything yet, but I'll keep thinking about it.

Ticia said...

Oh, do you want it specifically tied to the gospels or any Bible verse?

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ticia - I think tied into the message of Christ would be nice - the Easter story would be great - but any verse would be good.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a terrific idea! I am curious to see if they will be able to match the candy to the verses.

Ticia said...

Smarties for the wise and foolish builder?

That's all I got.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ticia - Very cute! I did pretty well at the store this afternoon, and I'm sewing up a quick toy surprise for them, too - hopefully I'll get it all put together in time to share :)

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Do you have mini chocolate hot cross buns? I am sure you could tie the cross in. What about a chicken or egg for play on the word laid? Not very good at instant recall on verse but I am sure he 'laid down his life' would work!
Happy Easter.

We used the tangram bunny puzzle in our work the other day, thanks for the inspiration!