Monday, April 30, 2012

Children in the Garden - Investigating Seeds


The beautiful weather we had last week left us all restless, and ready to plant something.  Sadly, we're still a couple of weeks from our planting season, or at least that's what I make of the snow mixed in with this morning's rain.

Still, I couldn't resist picking up a few packets of seeds, placed temptingly at the front of the grocery store.  It might be too early to plant them outside (as the grocer knows full well), but there's no reason we can't make something of them in the way of a rainy day science activity.


Especially, with our trusty handheld microscopes at the ready.



Viola Seed

Lavender Seed
Thyme Seed
Rosemary Seed
Oregano Seed
Sage Seed
Mystery Seed
Curious about the mystery seed?  Come back tomorrow, and I'll tell you all about it, and a couple more projects these seeds inspired, as well.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

7 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Ooh, I can't wait. I am impressed that you are making such good photos via your microscope.

Unknown said...

I agree with "Raising a Happy Child"- EXCELLENT photos! (AND I GOTTA get some of those hand held microscopes- cool-i-o!)

Phyllis said...

Wonderful photos!

Ticia said...

I'm with everyone else those photos are impressive!

I'm thinking a grain product for the mystery seed.

adia said...

I'm curious about that microscope, where did you get it? what's it called? looks fantastic!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

adia - Check out this post -
http://almostunschoolers.blogspot.com/2010/12/handheld-microscopes-make-great.html

I love - LOVE - our handheld microscopes!

Garden Seeds said...

What a cool idea! I am going to have to try this with my daughter. We always let her plant her own garden and she just loves it.