Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Quick and Easy Boredom Busters - PopTart Wrapper Races and Paper Dolls

Our thermometer is reading 23 degrees Fahrenheit this morning, and we woke up to another dusting of snow. That's the last time I trust a groundhog predicting an early spring.

Needless to say, with cold grey clouds outside, and six children trapped inside, I'm scrambling today, for some simple, easy boredom busters. And, not that I'm promoting PopTarts for breakfast (just because we have terrible habits, doesn't mean you should!), but if you're going to eat them anyway, don't miss out on the excellent potential of their packaging.

Not only are the boxes covered in terrific "paper" dolls, and accessories, just waiting to be cut out, and played with...


...but the light weight, foil wrappers, are perfect for racing across the floor. Just cut them into squares, with different pictures on each, so you can tell them apart.



Add a masking tape finish line.


Give each participant a straw, and a foil square.


And, let the races begin! Really, the straws, and finish line are completely optional.


I know we used to buy toys for the children - but I can't remember why.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

Sherral said...

Great ideas! I think we'll do the straw race this afternoon.

Debbie said...

Why buy toys when boxes and pop tart wrappers work so much better!

Yes, Selena's box is still in tact on it's last leg though.

Unknown said...

I think that these activities totally legitimizes the purchasing of Pop Tarts for breakfast...

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I wish daughter had a built-in playmate. Your girls seem to have so much fun together. Great idea with those races.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Wonder Mom - My thoughts exactly!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

What fun!! I agree with Wonder Mom -- now I can rationalize the purchase of Pop Tarts. Hee hee! ;-)

Ticia said...

and that rationalizes buying the name brand, rather than the cheaper store brand.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ticia - I'd say taste is enough reason not to buy the store brand toaster pastries. Not that I, myself, ever eat any of those dreadful things, either way! ;)