Wednesday, May 12, 2010

We Love Our Library!

Little Page Turners

Christianne over at Little Page Turners (a great blog for children's book lovers), is hosting a Love My Library blog party today, and for the rest of the week.

Clearly, we love our library. I'm not sure how we would homeschool without it.


Our library is a small town library. It's not big, or exciting, or exceptionally child friendly. But, it's within walking distance of our house. They let the children pick up my books, even when I'm not with them, and even if they forget their library cards. And, the librarian who monitors the Internet computers, use to be the children's Sunday school teacher - so no worries.

There is a small children's section, with little tables, blocks, and a tiny fish tank.


And, if you ask nicely at the reference desk, they will let you choose a stamp for your hand.

They host a summer reading program, with drawings for fun prizes.

Because they are linked in with Montana Regional Libraries, we can borrow books from all over the state - no matter how nasty the weather on the passes. Which means, there are some dedicated librarians out there, literally risking their lives (or at least their vehicles), to make sure we never run out of good books to read.

And, because this is Montana, the best part of our library, is outside in the yard...



...where a river runs through it.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

14 comments:

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

What beautiful scenery! I'm surprised at all these fish tanks I'm seeing. There are some dedicated librarians out there keeping the fishies alive.

Thanks for linking up!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

How fun! I wrote a post about our library a long time ago. I guess I just link it. We love our library.

Michelle said...

What a great post, I love our Library and would love to participate in this. Thanks for sharing :0)

Ginny Marie said...

Small towns are the best! I could never let my kids go by themselves... the staff at our library is too big, and they wouldn't recognize my kids! Fortunately, one of the children's librarians has really taken the time to know us, and she's the reason I love our children's department!

Christy said...

I love that your library also have outdoor space to inspire creative learning. Wonderful!

Ticia said...

You have a moat around your library!

Anonymous said...

It looks like it is a special part of your community. The outdoors is so wonderful.

Janna said...

Your library has a moat! How cool is that! What joy and independence they must feel to be able to walk to the library and "do business."

I just adore childhood memories like this...

Brimful Curiosities said...

The river is awesome! Thank goodness for small town libraries. I need to get my library post written soon...

silly eagle books said...

How amazing that you can walk to your library! I would love that.

Amanda said...

We can walk to ours too. Love that about small towns. It is great. While we don't have fish tanks, we have two pet rats. I got some pics of our librarian and Ansley holding them for the blog hop. It is great to see everyone's library! Thanks for sharing.

Amanda
www.adveturesinansleyland.blogspot.com

Katie said...

I love small town libraries, ours was probably a lot like that before we moved to the new location. But it still has a small town feel. The librarians know you and your child. They remember what E is interested in and they let me know when new British history books are in. I forgot to mention that we have the stamp thing too. Sometimes I think E is most excited about that part of the visit. It's a good thing we go during non high traffic time because picking one can take her forever.

Mindy said...

I found this blog when I was hopping around but I had no idea you were in Montana. I am in Kalispell :) not sure where you are but sure is a great state!!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Mindy - Amen to that! We get a lot of books from the Kalispell library :)