Friday, May 14, 2010

Science Geeks of the World, Rise Up And Dance!

Have you seen this video for They Might Be Giants' "Meet the Elements"?



It's from their Here Comes Science DVD. We picked up the CD/DVD set at the library, and we've been rocking out to science all day. Well, mainly I've been rocking out to science, and the children have been rolling their eyes at my dancing abilities - but they are great songs! Or, maybe I should say, they are great songs except for "Science is Real" and "My Brother the Ape", which as a Christian, I just found to be an offensive bunch of bunk (catchy tunes, though).

The rest of the songs are terrific. "I Am a Paleontologist", briefly mentions evolution, but it's not in your face, and the rest are straight science. My favorite of all is "Meet the Elements" which I linked above. Of course, you can listen to samples of the other songs, or purchase the DVD, CD, or individual songs at Amazon, or at tmbg.com, but I'd suggest checking with your local library first.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

6 comments:

Gabriele said...

That's our favorite 'listen in the car' CD :D We just skip over the "My Brother the Ape" song completely...we love all the others SO much that I can't fault them (too much) for throwing that one in there too, LOL!! We just happily skip past it and enjoy all the others :D

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I need to pick up this CD - we haven't had new tunes to listen in quite a while.

Unknown said...

Oh, that sounds like SO much fun!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to let my kids listen to this when they wake up. Also, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Love your blog and like you, I love being a homeschool mom!

Fairion said...

We love this disc. I wish I had had it when I was teaching in the classroom. It is catchy and fun yet filled with good science.

Ticia said...

I LOVE They Might Be Giants. They also have some great preschooler ones about the alphabet and counting that I keep meaning to grab, but haven't.