Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Pretty Good Brownies

I bookmarked a brownie recipe passed on from Gourmet.com, where they are labeled, "Better Than Ultimate Brownies", from Michelle at Scribbit, who dubbed them "Brownies That Will Kill You With Delight". Needless to say, they sounded tempting, but at the time I wasn't in a chocolaty mood. So, I bookmarked them, and forgot about them...


...until today. I don't know if they killed me with delight, or if they're really better than Ultimate Brownies (I haven't tried Ultimate Brownies, so it would be difficult to judge), but they are moist, chewy, chocolaty - and pretty good. The best part is, the recipe is for a 9x13 pan, so there's plenty for everyone.


5 - 1 ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate

3 ounces (I used 1/2 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup of butter

5 eggs

2 3/4 cups of sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla

1 1/2 cups bread flour

1 teaspoon salt (I think a bit less salt wouldn't hurt)


Melt together the chocolates, and butter.

Beat together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla for 10 minutes on high (I thought that sounded insane, so I just beat them in with the chocolate, until everything was blended).

Add the flour, and salt, and mix until just barely blended.

Pour into a greased, 9X13 pan, and let the batter sit for 20 minutes (Who has 20 minutes when you're waiting for brownies? I skipped this step).

Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in the middle, comes out clean.

Allow to cool completely before serving. Yaaaah...riiiiight :)


It's great to be a homeschooler.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never met a brownie I didn't like...

Messy Mommy said...

Those look scrumptious!

Katherine said...

AHHHHHH NOM NOM NOM NOM! They look amazing!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Might be a bit too much for the three of us, but I might be brave enough to try it for the party. Thanks for the recipe.

Ticia said...

Serving room temperature brownies when hot ones are available is I'm sure one of the seven deadly sins.

Debbie said...

These look yummy!

I have to tell you I have been to your blog about 4 or 5 times in the past two days and each time I got interupted. I kept telling myself I have to go back and leave a comment, well I am just getting back!