Thursday, July 17, 2014

Summer Fun 2014 - Building with Craft Sticks, Stones, and Play-dough


The third activity suggestion on the children's science themed library reading program list - find a variety of rocks to observe and describe - left us with half a bucket of stones sitting on the back patio.

I decided it was probably a good idea to find a constructive project for them, before they ended up scattered across the yard for the Man of the House to find with the mower.

So, inspired by a blocks and play dough post from Learn with Play at Home, I mixed up a triple batch of play-dough in the microwave for the children to use with the rocks, and some craft sticks (we have a whole box of bent and twisted seconds, not good for much else)...


...to build into arches...


...and walls...


...and houses...


...or arches connected to houses, and walls...


...as part of a fortified town play set, compete with play-dough dressed, rock inhabitants.


We live in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, where rocks are abundant, and free for the finding.  If you live in a less rock-filled terrain, I'm sure a bag of landscaping rocks from the garden supply store would fit the bill, and be totally worth it, too.  My younger girls (ages 8 and 9) played with their stone and stick construction for the entire afternoon, and well into the evening, only stopping to eat dinner, and ask for another batch of play-dough before heading back out the door.

Linked with:

Reading Confetti

7 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks so much for leaving a comment on my blog earlier today. I'm so glad to have discovered your blog! I am super impressed with all the fun and creative things you do with your kids. It looks like they are highly imaginative. I was also homeschooled and have fond memories of projects with my siblings.

claireshomeeducation said...

What wonderful memories you are giving your children, Leah. This is yet another one of your posts I am sharing with my children. I think all four girls would love to try this.

Phyllis said...

Their creations are very cool. This is something my youngest two boys would like.

Sunita said...

Excellent! I am just about to cook breakfast and I will cook up a bunch of play-dough too! We are doing this today, baby! Thanks!!

MaryAnne said...

We love doing play dough and rocks, but I've never thought to add craft sticks. Thanks for the idea!

Ticia said...

I just got a big box of wood crafting supplies, so I might have to show the kids this and then turn them loose later.....

You are either going to have 10 posts worth of comments from me, or my computer has been wonky and none of the comments I've made have gone through. I can't quite decide what's been going on with my attempts to comment tonight.

Bethany said...

Those are such beautiful sculptures. I'm going to pin it.