Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Crochet Pilgrim Wife Finger Puppet Pattern


Just as with the Pilgrim Finger Puppet, please take this "pattern" as a guide. I might not be the best pattern writer out there, but I do believe every little Pilgrim man needs a little Pilgrim wife.


I used worsted weight yarn in black, cream, and white, and a size E hook.


Puppet:

Chain 2, with a cream colored yarn.
Rnd 1: Work 4 single stitch(sc), in first chain(ch). Do not join the rounds.
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around - 8 sc.
Rnd 3: *2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc; repeat from * around - 12 sc.
Rnd 4: *2 sc in next sc, sc in each of the next 2 sc; repeat from * around - 16 sc.
Rnds 5-7: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 8: *Sc two together(2tog), sc in each of the next 2 sc, rep from * around - 12 sc.
Rnd 9: *Sc 2tog, sc in the next sc, rep from * around - 8 sc.
Embroider eyes, mouth onto face (with single stitches of black yarn, and two stitches of red).
Change to black yarn.
Rnd 10-11: Sc in each sc around.
Rnd 12: *2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc; repeat from * around - 12 sc.
Rnd 13: *2 sc in next sc, sc in each of the next 2 sc; repeat from * around - 16 sc.
Rnd 14: *2 sc in next sc, sc in each of the next 3 sc; repeat from * around - 20 sc.
Rnd 15: Sc in each sc around.
Fasten off. Weave in loose end.

Arms (Make 2):

Ch 4, with black yarn.
Starting in second ch from the hook, sc in each ch.
Fold vertically, and slip st the through last stitch and the ch to fold the arm vertically, making it like a cord.
Hook through some white yarn, and sc a couple of stitches onto the end of the arm to make a ball like hand. (I'm sorry if this isn't terribly clear - it only takes a tiny bit of white at the end of the arms, and I just muddled my way through it.)
Sew arms to the side of the puppet.




Hair:

Basically, you just stitch it on, with an embroidery needle, anyway that works.

I wanted it to look like her hair was pulled back in a bun. So, using 8 pieces of brown yarn, about 15'' long (longer pieces will make a bigger bun), I stitched them through the top of the head.


Then, tied them in a knot.


Repeating until I had a row covering the top of the head.


This is what it looked like from the back...


Then, I pulled each end, one at a time, back, and stitched it through the nape of the neck, up to the hair line, and back to the nape of the neck.






Each time, I moved over on the top of the head, until the back of the head was covered, and looked like this...



I spread the loose ends out...


Tied them in knots, across opposite sides, and sewed the loose ends under the knot, until I had a bun.


Finally, I trimmed all but two of the pieces sticking out. I used those pieces to wrap around the base of the bun, to hide the trimmed ends, and then wove the final ends into the puppet, under the hair.



It's probably not the best way to make hair, but it worked for what I wanted.






Collar:

Ch 19, in white. (Depending on your gage, you might need fewer, or more stitches. You need it long enough to wrap around the puppet's neck).
Starting at the second ch from the hook, sc in every ch.
Fasten off with a long tail.
Use the tail to sew the top edge of the collar around the puppets neck, draping the two ends over the puppet's shoulders, in front.



Apron:

Ch 27, or how many it takes to make a long enough rope to tie around the puppets waist.
Fasten off.
Centering your stitches, hook into the chain, and sc 4. Ch 1, and turn.
Sc 4. Ch 1, and turn.
Sc 4.
Fasten off, and weave in the loose end. (Pretend the picture below is all in white. That's what I get for crocheting in a dark room!)


Tie the apron around the waist of the puppet.


Cap:

Ch 3 in white.
Row 1: Sc in the second ch from the hook, and in the next ch. Ch 1, and turn.
Row 2: Sc 2. Ch 1, and turn.
Row 3: Sc 2. Ch 3.
Row 4: Sc in the second ch from the hook, and across the row, for a total of 5 sc. Ch 3.
Row 5: Sc in the second ch from the hook, and across the row, for a total of 7 sc. Ch1, and turn.
Row 6-14: The number of rows here, depends on your gauge - it will need to fit evenly over the puppets head. Continue on making rows of 7 sc, with a ch, and turn after each for 9 rows (don't ch after row 14).
Row 15: Slip stitch 3 scs, 2 sc, ch 1, turn.
Row 16: Sc 2, ch 1, turn.
Row 17: Sc 2, fasten off, leaving about a 1 inch tail.


Tie the loose tails together, at the base of the puppets bun. Sew, the back together, to make a closed, pointed cap, or leave it open, for more of a hair scarf.


Whichever you prefer.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I am so glad to see your Pilgrim found his "wench"!

(You are so TALENTED!!!)

Ticia said...

So, you feel like making a couple of extra ones?.......

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ticia - I'll put that right on my to-do list. I should probably be able to get to it by about 2067 :)

Christy Killoran said...

Fantastic!

I can't crochet, as you know, but I wanted to leave you a comment to let you know that I voted for you over at the homeschool awards. I hope you win; you definitely deserve it.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Never learned to crochet. Maybe someday I'll convince my mom to teach me just so I can make a pilgrim puppet!

Sheltie Times said...

What a great pattern.