Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Preschool Math - Bringing Order To Chaos

After a flurry of last minute Valentine making for each other, this morning, the children left behind a chaotic jumble of scraps on the table.

Before calling them back to clean up, I decided to cut a few hearts from the left over pieces, for the younger girls...



...to sort by color...


...and size...


...then to count...


...and arrange into patterns...


...and finally, into pictures.


It was pretty simple math, and we didn't take it too seriously. But, we had a good time finding order in the chaos. Which, is one of the basic functions of math - to my mind, anyway.


Look for more math themed ideas, and activities for children, at the Math Monday link-up, hosted by Joyful Learner.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

10 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am amazed with how you manage to fit the science lesson even into clean up - great "10 minute review" right there.

Phyllis said...

What a fun and simple activity. I never would have thought of that.

Christy Killoran said...

I wouldn't have thought of that either, and I too am amazed that you manage to find a lesson in clean up! Lots of fun and great learning!

I love their dresses. Did you make them?

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Christy - No, those are old Easter dresses, passed down now as play dresses, for days when we're staying in, but want to be fancy. The sewing machine, and I are not on friendly terms.

Unknown said...

Simply sweet!

Joyful Learner said...

Totally agree! Making sense of chaos, having fun AND saving the environment by reusing old materials to learn...it doesn't get better than that. Thanks for linking up. I love all your ideas.

Elise said...

What fun. So many possibilities with those scraps.

Debbie said...

What a fun way to use up the scraps. Selena would have loved an activity like this. Maybe if her mood is better today we will try something along this line. Never too late for hearts.

Ticia said...

Those are the best types of lessons to my kids minds.

Homeschool @ sg said...

so simple but educational and more importantly, PRETTY!! I love it! :)