Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"Magic" Fold and Cut Cross



While we were watching the PBS paper folding documentary, Between The Folds, last week, I had my memory jarred by the mention of the "magic fold and cut game". It's a game where you fold a paper however you like, so long as it is flat, and make one cut through it, to reveal a shape.

I didn't realize how many different shape possibilities there were (apparently it's endless), but I did remember seeing the game, as part of a Sunday school object lesson, to go along with John 14:16. I thought the children would probably get a kick out learning it for Bible Alive! Tuesday.

First, you take a regular, 8.5'' by 11'' piece of paper, and write the verse down the middle.



Some people don't believe, that Jesus is the only way to God. They try to take the verse, and turn it upside down.


Or, ignore it completely (flip the paper over).

Sometimes, they flip and fold it, looking for another way to heaven (click here, for really clear step by step instructions for the folds).








And, sometimes people try to cut Jesus, and His words out completely.


But, (unfold the paper to reveal the shape) in the end, it all comes back to Jesus, and His sacrifice for us. If there was another way to God, Jesus wouldn't have needed to die for us. But He did, because there isn't.


And, that's all there is to it.

For more Bible themed crafts, and ideas, click on over to the Bible Alive! Tuesday link-up, hosted by The Fantastic Five.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

14 comments:

Joyful Learner said...

That is very cool!

Pebblekeeper ~ Angie said...

Love it! I'll keep this on the memory bank as we get closer to Resurrection Sunday!

Christy Killoran said...

I have never seen anything like this before. It's a great lesson!

Phyllis said...

This is great! Great for Easter.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Very interesting.

Ticia said...

That is totally awesome!

I SO need to remember this for Sunday School and eventually my kids too.

Debbie said...

I love this! I have to do this and maybe make book marks for our bibles using this.

Unknown said...

OH! I will SO be using this with my kiddos someday- EXCELLENT!!!

sarah said...

Love this!

Anonymous said...

Just did this with my preschool homeschoolers and they were super excited to unfold the paper and find the cross. Very cool.

Chris, Eddie's mom said...

This was a fun and neat lesson to do with my 14 & 9yo!

Thank you!

Annette Whipple said...

Just did this...loved it! THank you!

Mikki said...

This is great! I've referenced it on my blog at http://momsbestnest.blogspot.com/2013/03/childrens-sermon-magic-paper-cross.html . I hope others will visit yous lovely blog and use this lesson too! Thanks!

Rose said...

That is so so cool! Have suggested it to the lady doing Messy Church in a couple of week! So clever! Love folded paper stuff!! Thank you!