Friday, February 18, 2011

Egg Carton Daffodils

As a new blast of winter hit us this week, my mother informed me the daffodils are starting to come up around her house in Oregon. Sigh...

But, I've never been one to let a little thing like the weather stop me from enjoying the season I'm in the mood for. So, I pulled out the yellow paint, and an empty egg carton, and put the girls to work, setting things right. Don't let the look of concentration I captured fool you either, the girls are always thrilled for a chance to paint.


While they painted the cups, I'd cut from the carton, I stacked up squares of yellow tissue paper, left over from our sun craft, and cut some fast petals.


Then, I trimmed about an inch off of the bendy end of a few green, and yellow bendy straws, and slit what was left of that end, four or five times around, vaguely following instructions from Craftideas.info.


Once the paint was dry, we poked a hole in the back of each cup, with a pencil...


...and glued on six petals.


We pushed the straws through the holes, and spread out the cut ends, for stamen.


I accordion folded a piece of green construction paper, and cut a few, long, blade-like leaves, which I folded down the middle...


...and arranged with some of the flowers, in a glass, on the table.


I think, I'll put the rest of them in a vase, in the window, just to keep the neighbors guessing.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

WAHAHAHAHAHA! Your evil plan to confuse the neighbors is so diabolical...AND pretty! :0)

Cindy said...

Beautiful!

Christy Killoran said...

Very pretty! I have a bit of spring fever because it has been in the 50s the last two days. It's all going away though; cold weather returns tomorrow.

Phyllis said...

They are so pretty. You are really ready for spring.

Ticia said...

So pretty. Looks much cuter than the ones I remember doing in school.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Wow - this looks so very pretty! Great "spring, come soon!" craft.

The Bertone's said...

That is awesome! To cute!

Charlene Juliani said...

I'm like Christy, I have spring fever as well, since our weather has been pretty mild this week. Love these daffodils, may have to try to do that this weekend. They came out so pretty!

Susan said...

So nice!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful bouquet!

Kylie said...

Very pretty. Egg cartons are so versatilve aren't they!

Jackie Lee said...

Those are gorgeous, and look so much like real Daffodils!! What a fun project.

Melanie said...

I love those!! Very pretty!