Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pipe Cleaner Calder Craft

Another quick, and easy activity to go along with Tanya Lee Stone's Sandy's Circus, A Story About Alexander Calder, is to take a virtual field trip, over to the Calder Foundation's website, to view some of the artist's wire portraits, like those mentioned in the picture book.

Then, give the children a nice selection of pipe cleaners to make their own portraits, and figures with.


It's simple enough for little hands...


...but has enough potential for exploration, to engage older children, too. You might even find yourself joining in.




It's great to be a homeschooler.

7 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I really have to get our pipecleaners out more often - they can be so entertaining. Thanks for another great idea for little hands.

Christy Killoran said...

I am getting this book from the library! We have so many pipe cleaners; we will definitely have fun with this.

Unknown said...

What an interesting bio book- I need to check it out...

Ticia said...

That'd be wildly popular here.

Joyful Learner said...

I purchased soft colored wires for this purpose a long time ago before I knew the book existed! Now, I'll definitely have to look it up! Pipe cleaners are a wonderful substitute!

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

Never heard of this book before and I love Alexander Calder and his circus. I own the book : Roarr Calder's Circus by Maira Kalman which is another great children's book about his circus. Check it out! Love what you are doing with your kids-----they are lucky to have such a great teacher/Mom!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Melissa - Good to know! I'll look for that one.