Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tangram Cookies - Even More Fun With Tangrams

I like to save the backs empty cereal boxes, that have interesting games on them, for rainy day boredom busters. It's not raining today, but I when I ended up with an empty cereal box, with a tangram challenge on the back, I wanted to use it right away.

I'm hoping to read Grandfather Tang's Story, A Tale Told with Tangrams by Ann Tompert, later today, with the children, so I thought we could use the cereal box challenge, to help us with a pre-story time activity.


I cut the puzzle pieces off the box, and let the children play around with them for a while.


While they were playing, I made up a batch of chocolate sugar cookie dough, rolled it out, and cut it into six, three inch squares, using a wax paper template. Then, I sliced the squares, freehand with a butter knife, into the tangram shapes, just like I did before, with the tangram toast (click the link to find step-by-step instructions).


One by one, I had the children pick their favorite shape from the cereal box patterns.


I helped them piece together the cardboard tangram pieces to match their pattern. For the really difficult ones, we searched Google images, for cheat patterns, that had the shapes showing.


Then, when they had their shapes correctly placed, I had them repeat the process with the sugar cookie dough, placing the cut shapes onto a greased cookie sheet.



Once, all the children had pieced together their cookie shapes, I pinched the dough together, and baked them...


...for a story time snack.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

11 comments:

Ticia said...

Looks like the perfect snack.

I love Grandfather Tang's story.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is just too good - tangrams in a cookie snack, and so many different shapes. We really enjoyed that book.

SweetandSimpleThings said...

I love your ideas! I've just started in the blogging world and you and your great ideas are a 'regular' on my blog - check it out! Thanks for inspiring me!

Unknown said...

That is the BEST way to make Tangrams- edible!

Debbie said...

I love all your ideas, but I have to admit I just don't have a sweet tooth for all the cookies you make. I use to!

Amber @HomeschoolingVoyage said...

We love playing with tangrams, and your edible version is very clever. I've never made chocolate sugar cookie dough...must try that!

Christy Killoran said...

We really like Grandfather Tang's story. My kids would love to do this too.

Phyllis said...

Oh, that is so wonderful!

Brimful Curiosities said...

They baked together perfectly! Neat idea.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

So cute and it looks so tasty too! We love tangram puzzles -- the girls have a magnetic travel set that gets used all the time, esp. for long car rides.

schmobes said...

That is inspired. I love it! Might just have to add it to the long list of fun things to try!