Sunday, January 16, 2011

Gingerbread Tetrahedrons - More Fun With Triangles


We picked up a couple boxes of toothpicks, while we were grocery shopping, so A (age 9) could take our fractal tetrahedron to the next level.


We should have picked up another bag of powdered sugar, too, because G (age 11), decided to make gingerbread tetrahedrons, for our story time snack. We read the Greedy Triangle by Marilyn Burns, but I'll have more on that later.



Just cutting all the equilateral triangles out of the dough was a geometry lesson in itself. In an effort to save dough, and cuts, she quickly discovered six equilateral triangles fit together to form a hexagon.


Since, I don't generally stock up on powdered sugar after the Christmas baking season, I only had enough on hand to make one small batch of frosting for her. It was enough to form nine tetrahedrons.

We (mainly I at this point), used four gingerbread triangles, trimming the bottom triangles, so they would fit snugly together.


Once, the frosting had was set, we formed them into a Sierpinski triangle, of sorts.


Then, we balanced loose triangles on top, just for fun.


As usual, you can find more math themed projects, products, and ideas at the Math Monday link-ups, hosted by Joyful Learner.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

15 comments:

Debbie said...

Have they changed their mind about math being fun?

Evenspor said...

That is so cool.

Christy Killoran said...

Very cool.

We did a stArt project with The Greedy Triangle a while back. I look forward to reading what you did with it.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Christy - I'm glad you said that. I knew someone I read regularly had used it, but I couldn't remember who.

Ticia said...

If they haven't changed their mind yet about math being fun, at least they must think it's delicious.

Phyllis said...

So very cute...and sneaky. :)

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Those look like so much fun to make! I think you've successfully proven that math can be fun -- way to go!!

Smita Srivastava said...

What a cool idea ... loved going thru ur wonderful blog !!!

- Smita
www.littlefoodjunction.blogspot.com
(fun food ideas for little eaters)

Annette W. said...

I haven't heard the word TETRAHEDRON since I taught at Nature's Classroom and taught a class on them!

Sparklee said...

Wow! I love this project! Can't wait to try it!

Jeff Schmitz said...

This is just awesome. I love the hands-on solid geometry lesson - better than any manipulative you could ever buy.

Nicole said...

Love this! We are going to make these this week (or as soon as I get some more powdered sugar:) Thanks!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Looks delicious. I like how you do several different projects on one theme.

Joyful Learner said...

Yummy math.

Elle Belles Bows said...

Love the gingerbread idea and it looks like they held up pretty well too! Kerri