Thursday, January 6, 2011

Peanut Shell Pals


We were left with quite a few smashed up peanut shells, after making peanut butter, yesterday.


But, a few came apart pretty much in half, and we used those today, to make Peanut Pals, following instructions from Show Kids The Fun.
It's a fairly fussy craft, that requires a delicate touch, so I worked with the children one at a time, and gave the younger children a good deal of help.

When they came to the table, each child chose the color of embroidery floss they wanted for hair, and specified (or cut their own) length. Then, they picked the two matching halves of the shell they wanted, googly eyes, and two bread ties.


We coated the edge of each shell with glue (I did this for the younger children). Then, we gently sat on the hair, and bread ties (we cut the ones for the arms, and smaller peanut shell legs, in half).


We pressed the other half of the shell, on top.


The children glued on the eyes, and drew mouths, with markers.



And, we sat them aside to dry.


When they were dry, we bent the arms, and legs, to pose them.


Tip: It is much easier to stand Peanut Pals with shorter legs, and it generally takes two, leaning against each other.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

Super cute!!

Christy Killoran said...

I never would have thought to make anything with the shells. Too cute. I only see five - did T opt out of this craft?

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Christy - He thought they looked a little strange :)

Kylie said...

LOL oh my these are cute, but I can see how fiddly they would have been. Well done for even giving it a go.

Eddie said...

Your posts almost delight me. I've sent you an award on my blog!
www.theusualmayhem.blogspot.com

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I think you took Debbie's bread tie surplus as a personal challenge. I've never seen a peanut shell craft before - they look very cute.

Ticia said...

Oooohhhhh, I love those!

Sharnee Torrents said...

THis is sooo cute! Love what you've done with the humble peanut shell! Oh they are soooo awesome!
SMiles Sharnee :)

MyKidsMake said...

hahaha, those are really cute

Brimful Curiosities said...

I love how you reused the shells from your other project. Very crafty!

Unknown said...

These SO remind me of the artist who has created "Bent Objects":

http://bentobjects.blogspot.com/

You NEED to check his site out- it's hilarious...at least to my deranged mind...

Erin said...

These are totally adorable!!! My kids would love to make these!

RUBICITA said...

jajajaj esos cacahuates se ven geniales!! feiz aƱooo saludos!