Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Eating Our Ages in Roman Numerals


A, wanted to make cookies this morning, and I wanted to continue our lesson on Roman numerals. So, I gave her the letter cutters from our Alphabake Cookbook and Cookie Cutter Set (by Deborah Pearson), and ask her to cut Is, Vs, Xs, Ls, Ds, and Ms, out of chocolate sugar cookie dough.


She baked them, and I arranged some of the cookies, according to all of our ages, on a plate.


After lunch, the older children, and the Man of the House, had to find their correct age in Roman numerals, before they could have their cookies. I gave the younger children their cookies, but we did review the V and I, and how they could be used to make both 4, and 6.


I reserved the extra cookies, for when they realized some got more than others.




It's great to be a homeschooler.

13 comments:

Phyllis said...

That is such a clever way to teach Roman Numerals. Wish I had thought of it when we were doing Roman. Oh, well...I guess I will have to fit it in somewhere. :)

Christy Killoran said...

This is such a neat idea!!!

Unknown said...

As I told Tish the other day, food makes ANY school subject FUN...

Unknown said...

math is better when there is chocolate!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Man of the house got lucky :)

Joyful Learner said...

I'm craving some Roman Numerals right now.

Debbie said...

I love both of your ideas for teaching Roman Numerals. These cookies look yummy!

Ticia said...

How long before they realized?

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ticia - It was pretty much instantaneous.

Anonymous said...

Now this is a fun way to learn your Roman numerals!

MyKidsMake said...

what a fun idea!!! we have that same book. I should pull it out and see what my little ones come up with.

Deb Chitwood said...

What a fun (and yummy) way to reinforce a study of Roman numerals! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

Just Me said...

Yummy and interesting?!? Sounds great! I can't wait to try this with my boys.
Have you given one of the "great lessons" on the origin of numbers yet? Just curious. :)