Friday, July 19, 2013

Summer Fun Day 55 - Reading Props - Crowns and Swords



While we had the tent fort up, I decided it would be a good time to pull out a care package we received recently from the fabulous kiddos (and super sweet Mom) of The Fantastic Five blog...


...they treated us to a little taste of kingdom living with four packages of inflatable battle swords (two swords per package!) and cardboard crowns...


...ready to be decorated with stick on jewels.


They were a huge hit with all three of my youngest (ages 7-10)...


...even though D is not pictured above, he spent a good deal of time decorating a princely crown, as well.

In fact, all three were quite absorbed, and spent more time working out the designs and placing sticker "jewels" on their crowns than I would have imagined for such a simple, low set-up, no mess, kind of craft - wonderful!

I wanted to have Princess Märtha Louise of Norway's Why Kings and Queens Don't Wear Crowns to go with the crowns, but it was already checked out.



I did, however, find a very sweet picture book, encouraging noble behavior befitting the kingly headgear (for those of who are not actually kings or queens)...


...and a perfect cautionary tale...


...to accompany the swords.


Thanks Fantastic Five - you made our day!

4 comments:

Phyllis said...

That is so much like Wondermom to send a wonderful package like that. I am in the mood lately for some Medieval fun. I remember when my guys made Medieval style goblets...they spent a long time placing the jewels, too.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a perfect care package for your family. I love their work, and I bet they had a lot of fun with those swords in their swing fort yesterday.

Unknown said...

I am blushing- and am VERY glad the kiddos enjoyed the package. The timing couldn't have been better, with the oldest ones away.

I know that is one of the reasons we did "Despicable Me 2" Week when we did because my oldest, Jungle Girl, was away at camp, leaving my younger ones a little sad...

Ticia said...

I need to find that book for my boys.......... I have to "remind" them on a regular basis of no sword fighting.