Thursday, July 18, 2013

Summer Fun Day 54 - Swing Set Tent-Fort



I knew the younger children would be a little low, waking up in a quiet house with the older three off on an exciting adventure.  I wanted to plan something fun, like breakfast in a backyard tent, to make up for their disappointment at being left behind.  But, with VBS prep in motion, I didn't have a lot of time to spend setting up, and taking down an elaborate play area.

That's when I had one of those "duh" moments, as I realized the swing set...


...with the swings removed...


...is a perfect, ready made tent frame.  Throw down some blankets...


...drape a couple of sheets over the top...


...secure them with clothes pins...



...and a couple of rocks (remnants of a previous summer's fun)...


...and for a finishing touch, tie an old lace curtain to the top bar, for a back wall, or flip up door...


...and in five minutes, or less, you have a roomy tent fort, that can be taken down at the end of the day, almost as quickly as it was put up - faster really, if it weren't for the extra load of laundry - but then, what else is that machine for.


So simple, and so totally not something I had thought to try before - duh!

It's great to be a homeschooler.

5 comments:

Phyllis said...

This is an awesome idea. Too bad we don't have a swing set any more.

Unknown said...

I LOVE it! Did they make Solar Smores again to go along with the camping theme? ;0)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Amber - No S'mores - crowns and swords instead (I'll post about that tomorrow) :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I can see that this was tons of fun to have this swing fort. And it was also enhanced further with a slide?

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Raising a Happy Child - Sadly, we've outgrown the slide. Although, I do think it often comes in handy as a launching ramp.