Saturday, June 4, 2011

What My Child is Reading - Family Reading Stations

As I was glancing around, making a mental list of the books we've been reading this week, I realized we've fallen into reading stations. Do you do that?

By the T. Rex, books about dinosaurs:

Sara Gilbert's Age of Dinosaurs: Tyrannosaurus Rex,
and Digging Up Dinosaurs by Jack Horner.

Both are from an evolutionary slant, but with some fun facts. Like, did you know the scientific name for fossilized dinosaur droppings is Coprolites (KAHP-roh-lites)?


Next to the butterfly pavilion:

See How They Grow, Butterfly from Dorling Kindersley,
and Elaine Pascoe's Butterflies and Moths from the "Nature Close-Up" series.


Audio books, near the CD player:

Peterson Field Guide, Western Birding by Ear by Richard K. Walton and Robert W. Lawson, a personal favorite of mine, right now.

A T.Rex Named Sue produced by Mike Himelstein. C, and I listened to it again, while putting together the dinosaur puzzle craft.

Robert D'Amours Rapanese Japanese, Music and Comedy Method of Learning Foreign Languages. We've been listening to this at lunch, at G's request. It's good for auditory learners.

Edward Eager's, unabridged, Half Magic, performed by The Words Take Wing Repertory Company, for our breakfast-time listening. We enjoy this one at the beginning of summer.


In a cozy chair:

Len Walsh's Read Japanese Today - T's reading choice of the week.


In the windowsill:

Our ongoing, family favorite, Stan Tekiela's Birds of Montana Field Guide.


That's about it for us this week, but you can find more children's book reviews and recommendations at this week's What My Child is Reading link-up, over at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

10 comments:

Debbie said...

Selena has set up her own reading stations. She has a stack of books in all her favorite areas that she likes to read. Funny how these areas just seem to make themselves.

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

Oh yes, we have our little "reading stations" too. :) My favorite is cozied up on the "big" bed (my and my husband's bed), where I can sneak in a good long snuggle as we read. :)

I think Matthew would love the dinosaur books - I will look for them at our library. And we have a butterfly pavilion too, sans butterflies, because we are waiting for a time when we'll be home several weeks in a row in order to watch them. Sigh. I don't know if that will happen this summer! However, I'll keep your books in mind for when we get there! :)

Christy Killoran said...

I love the idea of reading stations. My husband would pick up all of the books and put them away though - he thinks books are clutter when they aren't in a basket or on a shelf. Hmmmm... I guess I could set up different baskets, not sure he would go for that either though.

Julie said...

Interesting how you have these stations for reading. We actually don't do this. Ours are all generally in the kids' rooms and the playroom where we do most of our reading.

Isil Simsek said...

I love your readng stations. We also have one in each room. Great for cuddling and reading a story :)
I would love it if you linked up to Book Sharing Monday.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

How fun that you have so many themes going at once and every child has its preferences. I still want to get Sue book. Thanks for joining WMCIR!

Ticia said...

I love the reading stations. I have some of my own, but the kids don't particularly........

Jackie Higgins said...

This is a wonderful idea! We just finished our basement and I was looking around and realized there were no books down there! I quickly remedied that but I love this idea of book stations. What a great invitation to read.

Susan said...

I've really liked Edward Eager books when I've read them, including "Half Magic", but my girls haven't really gotten into them yet. Maybe I should try the audio versions.

Rebecca said...

Yes! We have reading stations like that too. We just finished our butterfly project...we had a pavilion just like that, with books around it just like you. :)

We also have a little dino station too, right now. It's funny how we can feel like we're living in our own worlds, but we're all kind of doing similar things. It's neat.

Yes, it is nice to be a homeschooler!