Saturday, June 25, 2011

Homemade Chocolate Teddy Grahams


I found a recipe for chocolate graham crackers on the King Arthur Flour site, and thought it would be fun to mix up a batch of the dough for the girls to turn into little teddy grahams.

You can click the link above, to find the recipe. I didn't have Dutch-process cocoa, so I substituted unsweetened baker's cocoa.


The dough was quite sticky, so we sprayed our hands with a bit of baking spray, before we started working with it.


Then, we just rolled out little balls, and pieced them together into bears, adding the final details of eyes, and belly buttons, with a toothpick.


It was tedious work, but the girls were too busy having fun together to notice.


Of course, they weren't exactly aiming for perfection, either.


We baked the teddy grahams at 325 degrees, for 15 minutes, as per instruction. They flattened out a little, while baking. The children thought they were hilarious.


I rolled the last bit of the dough out flat, to see how they'd be as normal graham type crackers.


I ended up having to cut them apart, and repoke them with a fork, after they baked, but I was happy with the end result. Judging from how quickly the children polished of our plate of crackers, I'd say they liked them, too.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

3 comments:

Ticia said...

Why do t I remember food websites have recipes like that?

Deborah said...

I think i would make some big teddy bears too!

Christy Killoran said...

I'll have to try this recipe.