Friday, June 24, 2011

Glow In The Dark "Ketchup" Sketcher

I'm putting Folk Toy Fridays off to the weekend again, to allow our days to slow back down, now that we're through with Vacation Bible School. Folk toys are really best enjoyed on slow, lazy moving days.

But, while I had the glow-in-the-dark paint out earlier this week, I decided to redo our ketchup sketcher idea, from a year ago.

Instead of filling the baggie with ketchup, I put in a flour, water, and food coloring mix (think thin play dough, or flour paint).


And, instead of having the children color a piece of cereal box cardboard to stick underneath, I painted it with a couple of layers of latex, glow-in-the-dark paint (it takes at least two coats to get a good glow).


I used the other side of the cereal box, to make a frame, an inch or so larger than the baggie, to glue onto the painted cardboard, on three sides. The top edge needs to be left open, so the baggie can be removed from time to time, to expose the painted surface to the light.


It's great for drawing...


...4th of July fireworks.



Or possibly, 1st of July fireworks, if you live a little farther to the north.



It's great to be a homeschooler.

7 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

That is too cool! I want to play with it!!!!!!!! I have to find some of that paint!

Unknown said...

Glow in the dark goo- sounds like my glow in the dark eggs need to meet you! :0)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

You are really determined to use up your glow-in-the-dark paint, aren't you? We did some of those sketchers with paint, and they were a big hit.

Ticia said...

That would be so much fun! I found some glow in the dark bugs at Target the other day and now I need to find a good use for them.

Kylie said...

Ok that's pretty cool. I need to go find the paint for that.

Janet said...

just one question, what is the "chair backer" you talk about putting things into?? I have been trying to get something for my kids chairs.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Janet - It was a Valentines project - http://almostunschoolers.blogspot.com/2012/01/cereal-box-valentine-chair-backers.html