Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Stars In A Jar

If you're looking for instructions to make glow in the dark, splatter painted, mason jars, like the ones that seem to be the all the rage on pinterest, let me direct you over to Kristy Makes, where there are instructions, and tips, for a good approximation.

I thought they were pretty neat, but I didn't have any glow in the dark paint. Plus, I thought, it would be even better if the stars could move, and swirl inside the jar.

That's when I remembered all those glow in the dark, plastic stars, I stuck under the table, a while back. Most of them were still there, so I pulled them loose, and removed the tape, to use them again.


Then, I dug around, and found an empty plastic jar, removed the label, and filled it with water, and a few of the stars.


At first, I didn't think it would work, because the stars all float right to the top. Below is a mason jar version, I started out with, before I found the plastic jar.


But, C (age 5), thought it was fun to turn the jar over, and back again...


...and watch all the stars disappear under the jar's lid.


And, it was even better in the dark.


Not to mention how cool they look, dancing in circles inside the jar, when you swirl them around.



After I showed it to her, I disassembled it for now, so it will be fresh, new, and still entertaining for her, while we're passing time on the 4th, waiting for the fireworks.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

9 comments:

Phyllis said...

That is a great star-jar version for the younger set!

Theresa said...

Cool idea!

OurWanderingAdventures said...

oooo I love this idea! We are going camping over the 4th and this is perfect!!!

Unknown said...

I wonder...

If you put oil in the jar, would the stars stay "suspended" longer?

Hmmmmm......

Mamma_volipindarici said...

Great idea!
Thank you for sharing!

@Wonder mum, I'm curios, let's try! :D

Christy Killoran said...

I was going to write that maybe oil would create a cool suspension effect, but I see that Wonder Mom beat me to it!

kristy.lynn @ kristy.makes said...

WOW! i found you through my stats & i have to say, i like your idea! like a little glow in the dark snowglobe, SO COOL! i'm totally pinning your idea to try as well. I KNOW we have some of those stars floating around. i'm thinking the oil may be the key to making them float longer too! i'll let ya know if it works out! thanks so much for linking back to me, i truely appreciate it! :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Hmm... I wonder if dinosaurs in a jar will work here... Unfortunately they don't glow much any longer. How little 5 year olds need to keep them entertained :)

Junior said...

Love it, great and simple.