Sunday, June 26, 2011

Glow In the Dark Paper Plate Ring Toss and Splatter Paint Mason Jars


Paper plate ring toss is fun...


...but glow in the dark, paper plate ring toss is even better.


To get the lovely glow above, I used two coats of Rust-Oleum's latex, glow in the dark paint. I've been pretty impressed with the seven ounce can I purchased. I've had enough to paint six, Popsicle stick bracelets, one ketchup sketcher, to test some out in play dough (more on that later), and still had more than enough left to make a few splatter paint, stars in jars.


Though, I do have to say, the jars are probably more work than they're worth.

I found the only way to keep the paint from running, was to lay the jars on their sides, while I was flinking the paint covered brush into them. Then, each side had to dry, before the other side could be done, and it took several applications of paint to get a starish look.


Of course, my paint glows green, so starish isn't exactly the right term.


I think to get the really neat look of the picture being posted, and reposted across the Internet (click here to see it)...



...takes a bit of photographic trickery.


Our picture is not nearly as clear, or whimsical as the original, but we had a good time giving it a try. And, we still have a little paint left...

It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Ticia said...

Glow in the dark ring toss is MUCH better!

Kendra said...

What you need are some lightning bugs!

Phyllis said...

I knew I would see more things made with glow-in-the-dark paint! Cute ideas!

Christy Killoran said...

Glow in the dark ring toss sounds like a lot of fun!