Sunday, December 19, 2010

New And Improved Snow Ice Cream

The girls had a friend over this afternoon, and wanted to make a treat. Since we have good seven inches of fresh, clean snow (meaning it just fell), I decided snow ice cream would be fun. We made, and enjoyed it last year, but decided to modify the recipe, to make it even better, this year.

So, we started by mixing:

  • 1 cup of cream
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon sugar-free, instant, vanilla pudding mix
  • and, 6 cups of clean snow.

We stirred them together, until we had a thick, milkshake-like mixture.


Then, we covered the bowl, and sat it out in the snow for 15 minutes.


Finally, we mixed in about 4 more cups of snow, until it was thick, and ready to eat. It tasted almost exactly like the soft serve at Dairy Queen.


The girls approved.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

10 comments:

Phyllis said...

Oh, YUM! I have always made it the way my mother made it...without the pudding, but it sound good, although I would go for the kind with sugar.

Kristi @ Creative Connections for Kids said...

Looking forward to making the snow ice cream with pudding. Thanks!

Christy Killoran said...

I love that last picture! I have read about snow ice cream, but we have never made it.

Joyful Learner said...

We don't have much snow here so we will have to settle for an ice cream maker but yours looks much better!

Ticia said...

I love how you try things until it works perfectly for you.

Elise said...

Here we are over here in the land of Oz with the mercury rising and you are making delicious sounding ice cream with snow.

You might as well use the weather to your tummy's advantage!

Debbie said...

Yummy! I will have to give your recipe a try sometime the next time we get some snow.

Darcey said...

Sounds like a good recipe. This was one of my favorite posts for last week and I've linked up to it here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2010/12/weekly-favorites-for-december-26-2010.html

Lois O'Brien said...

Yum! We just tried your snow ice cream recipe and it is WONDERFUL! Could I post this recipe on my blog at http://www.colbylobrien.wordpress.comwith a link back to your site?

Lois

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Lois - Yes, that would be great. I'm glad you enjoyed the ice cream, too :)