Thursday, December 30, 2010

Another Day, Another Penguin (Craft)



I had planned on using another story for our stART (story + ART) project this week, but after reading 365 Penguins, the younger girls (ages 4 and 5) wanted to do a penguin craft, and quite frankly, so did I.

Kaboose has a great, penguin, mosiac craft.

I've never known a toddler who didn't like to rip up paper strips, or a preschooler, who didn't love to snip them into tiny pieces. And, you can never have too much scissor practice (as long as it doesn't involve the curtains).



This craft also calls for tracing, which is wonderful for honing pre-writing, and hand/eye coordination skills.



You can find complete instructions, and a printable penguin template, by clicking the Kaboose link above. It's a pretty straight forward, snip, and glue kind of craft.



Since, Fromental's story involves 182 pairs of penguins, plus one blue footed fellow, named Chilly. I had the girls make one of their penguins a girl - E's, with the happy eyes, and bow on her head, and one a boy - C's and mine (can you tell which side I worked on?), crying, with the bow tie. C was not overly happy to make hers a boy.




As for blue footed Chilly, I found a darling, amigurumi, crochet pattern, from Lion Brand Yarn. I didn't have any light blue yarn, so I settled for blue eyes, instead of feet.

The children weren't too concerned about the substitution. In fact, I already have orders for 4 more, and one request for a purple version.

Fortunately, not only is it free, but it's a very simple, beginner pattern, typical of amigurumi. You do have to give an email address, to gain access to it. But, I haven't noticed my Lion Brand Yarn account generating much junk mail, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Or, if you'd rather stick to literature inspired, children's crafts, there are plenty to be found at this week's stART link-up, over at A Mommy's Adventures.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

15 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I can't wait for this book to come in; it really looks cute. We love penguin crafts too. My daughter would not be happy to make a boy either, but she is the only girl so I guess it wouldn't be a problem. I think I need to learn how to crochet.

Unknown said...

OK, I am "placing an order" for a penguin...so CUTE!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Wonder Mom - If you crochet amigurumi for a friend, you give them cuteness for a day, but if you teach a friend to crochet, you give them cuteness for a lifetime.

phasejumper said...

Cute craft! I crochet a little (enough to start a blanket three times now and keep tearing it apart because it doesn't look right! lol)

Ticia said...

Seriously, those amigurumi are way too cute. But, I've found patterns for sewing ones, and probably will go that route.....

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Phasejumper - That's probably enough to be able to make one of these. It's all single crochet.

Debbie said...

I love the girls crafts. I have to get my yarn and crochet hooks out and start making all these cute things again.

Phyllis said...

Very cute crafts. Anyone would love that little crocheted guy. I did a unit on penguins once. You might want to do some of those activities, too. (Here is one of them: http://homeschooljournal-bergblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/emperor-penguin-hatches-egg-and-adele.html )

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Phyllis - Terrific! I'll click right on over :)

Unknown said...

Each penguin is so special. I love the bow on the girl.

Hoping you have a wonderful and blessed New Year!

Amy said...

I have made that little guy too :) He sat on my desk for a long time and made me smile all the time. Looking forward to getting that book reserved from our library I hope!

Elle Belles Bows said...

Another "hit" in the penguin department! Thanks so much for sharing! Kerri

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love your craft even more than children craft. Maybe one day I will learn how to crochet too.

Jackie Higgins said...

Cute! My son is really into penguins- and scissors which he hasn't mastered but maybe this would be a good way to let him try cutting a few things and then we could always resort to tearing if it doesn't work out. The book looks good too.

Hallie said...

I don't think there is a day that goes by that I am not inspired by your blog!! Thankyou so much for sharing this... it goes along with what we are doing perfectly! can't wait to print that out and get started!!!

www.ourbrokenroad.blogspot.com